Monday, February 22, 2010

Don't miss Kenny Garrett

Hey the KU Jazz Festival is the weekend of March 6th. The featured group this year is the Kenny Garrett combo. In case you don't know him, he is a world wide know alto sax player and has put out a number of well selling jazz albums. He was a side man for Miles Davis before he became really popular.

Garrett is a unique player with a very unique sound. His playing style is hard bop with influences of R&B, Blues and Gospel. His tone is a bit harsher than most alto players and works kind of as his signature. He is one of my favorite players and I have used alot of his licks myself. His approach to soloing draws heavily from the modes and penatonic scales. If you want to check something out of his I reccommend his album "Song Book." I'll admit the melodies are somewhat exotic but if fits his style and approach well, lots of tastefull dissonances.

No comments:

Post a Comment